Ingredients for Genoese sponge cake for 4 people
1) The sponge cake that we are going to prepare is the typical sponge cake to fill cakes. The Genoese sponge cake is made without yeast or any type of fat, only that provided by the eggs. To prepare this cake, we incorporate the eggs in a bowl, a pinch of salt, the vanilla essence and the sugar and we begin to beat with some electric rods. This step is fundamental, since it is where we are going to incorporate air into the cake mix so that later in the oven it grows and becomes fluffy. We will have to beat for approximately 10 minutes until we see that the mixture triples its volume.
2) Next, we are going to incorporate the flour. We are going to add the flour in 3 batches and pass it through a sieve or strainer so that there are no lumps. We integrate it into the mixture with a spatula or cat’s tongue with soft and enveloping movements from the bottom up. It is very important to do it this way so as not to remove air from the cake mixture, which will grow in the oven and we will end up with a fluffy cake. When we have all the flour well integrated, the dough for our Genoese sponge cake would be ready.
3) About 20 minutes before baking the cake, preheat the oven to 180º C with heat up and down. We spread the entire interior of the mold with butter and we are also going to place a piece of baking paper on the base so that the cake can be unmolded later. Pour the batter into the mold and put it in the oven. We are going to bake the first 10 minutes at 180º C and then lower the temperature to 160º C to bake the last 20 minutes. It’s 30 minutes of baking in total.
4) After 30 minutes, turn off the oven and leave the cake inside for 10 more minutes. When these 10 minutes have passed, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. When the cake is cold, unmold it and turn it over to remove the baking paper. Our cake is ready to eat as it is or to cut it into layers and make stuffed cakes
5) If we are going to use the cake for cakes, we will have to let it cool down and let it rest for a few hours.
When the cake is completely cold, we can cover it with foil or transparent film to cut it the next day. It is advisable to let it rest for a day because if we cut it without letting it rest, it will break easily and the cuts will not be completely clean and perfect.